- 1 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup firmly packed parsley sprigs (either flat or curly parsley) with stems removed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup almonds, walnuts, or pine nuts
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a blender container or food processor bowl, combine the basil leaves, parsley, Parmesan cheese, nuts, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and blend or process with several on/off turns, until a paste forms. When the machine is off, scrape the sides and stir the ingredients before starting again. Then gradually add the olive oil and keep processing and scraping the sides in between processing, until you reach a smooth consistency. (It doesn’t have to be completely smooth, but enough so that it is like a sauce or dip).
This amount of pesto can be tossed with 12 ounces of cooked pasta to feed about 4 people, or you can divide it up and use some for a dip or spread. Store in the refrigerate for 3 to 5 days, or freeze in airtight containers. Enjoy!